segunda-feira, 25 de agosto de 2014

NAIL POLISH - BE CAREFUL

BE CAREFUL, ALWAYS

                               
                                             How to Tell if Your Nail Polish is Toxic


I received recently this article about nail polish 

How pretty and how toxic it can be!

I don't know if it belongs to some blog or so...

of so... I apologize and say thanks for the article because it can help a lot of people, specially ladies. 

Only for the health I copy this. I don't need the compliments for myself. 

                     - o - o - o - 


Nail polish is pretty – pretty toxic, that is.
Why? Because many commercially-made polishes, base coats, laquers, nail art, thinners, and top coat-base coat combinations contain chemicals that have been linked to birth defects and developmental problems in children of pregnant women who have been exposed over an extended period of time. Salon workers are particularly at risk, but so is anyone who applies polish frequently.
Yes, the chemicals are present in very small amounts. But think about HOW you polish – you hover over your fingers and toes, probably focusing intently but also breathing in deeply. Because those chemicals are so volatile, you could be inhaling them with every breath.
Scientists and doctors are particularly concerned about three chemicals – dibutyl phthalate, toluene, and formaldehyde – commonly called the “toxic trio” by organizations trying to rid polish and other personal care products of these compounds.
Dibutyl phthalate is added to nail polish to prevent it from becoming brittle. However, it is classified by the European Union as a “suspected endocrine disruptor,” which means it upsets our hormonal balance and could be toxic to reproduction. DBP is also associated with liver and kidney failure in young children who have sucked on toys containing the ingredient.
Formaldehyde helps polish harden. It also causes cancer, plain and simple.
Toluene irritates the skin. Worse, it’s believed to cause developmental disorders. Inhaling toluene vapor can affect the central nervous system. I know it gives me a headache and sometimes makes me feel like I have the flu.
In addition, some manufacturers concerned about health and safety also exclude camphor and formaldehyde resin.
What can you do?
·         Read the label. Cosmetic products are required to have their ingredients posted on the label. Granted, you may need a magnifying glass to decipher the fine print, but take the time to do so. Look for those that say “three-free” (meaning free of the toxic trio) or “five-free” (meaning they also exclude camphor and formaldehyde resin) when you shop.
·         Polish less often. Use more neutral colors that complement more outfits so you don’t need to do your nails every few days.
·         Keep the windows open or polish outside. Polish your nails in a well-aerated place or outside, where fresh air will help reduce the vapors you inhale.
·         Choose a healthy, safe salon. If you can barely breathe when you walk into a salon, turn around and walk right out again. The salon should keep fresh air circulating and offer patrons nail polishes that are safe for them and the salon staff, too.
·         Find a safe nail polish and stick to it. There are several water-based polishes on the market and online. Once you find a brand that produces polish free of the toxic trio, stick with it. Take it to the salon with you, and tell your friends about it so they can be safer, too.




3 comentários:

Sami disse...
Este comentário foi removido por um gestor do blogue.
Celeste Cortez disse...

Yes, they have a strong smell.

Celeste Cortez disse...

Yes, they have a strong smell.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...